In Depth Analysis: CalculatedRisk Newsletter on Real Estate (Ad Free) Read it here.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Popular Internet Properties

by Calculated Risk on 6/22/2006 11:10:00 AM

I found this interesting: Social Networking Sites Continue to Attract Record Numbers. The press release also has some statistics on the top internet properties (in addition to Social Networking).

Its not really surprising that Yahoo! is the top property for internet users. I was surprised (see table 4) at how many unique visitors use Monster.com (#14 Overall) and CareerBuilder (#27) every month. Were 30 million Americans really looking for a new job in May? I suppose it is free to look, and the opportunity costs are negligible.

And I'm not familiar with Myspace, Facebook, Classmates, etc. I'm probably not in the right demographic!

When I checked out YouTube, my first search was for the Columbia Business School Spring 2006 Follies spoof of Ben Bernanke (probably says something about me).

Then I searched for Volcker - nothing. Hmmm ... maybe this will give me an opportunity to to post a video on Youtube. It is always fun to try out a new free service.

So I wrote to Stanford for permission to post the video of Volcker's speech of February 2005 at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research. The answer was "Thank you for the inquiry. However, at this time we are unable to authorize use of this material outside SIEPR." I wasn't surprised by the answer, but I think it is a mistake for Stanford not to allow the video to be posted on Youtube. NOTE: If you haven't seen Volcker's speech, it is worth watching.

So I had another idea. Sasha has just filmed a new commercial for Simply Saline, so I wrote the company asking for permission to post the commercial. (The mpg file is here) No response yet. This does raise some interesting compensation and quality issues - and probably other issues I haven't considered.

Since I haven't posted any videos yet, I'll leave you with this: