In Depth Analysis: CalculatedRisk Newsletter on Real Estate (Ad Free) Read it here.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Iran

by Calculated Risk on 1/22/2006 01:03:00 AM

First, it is fairly clear, as pgl notes, that Iran is not currently an imminent threat to the US. But what about the economic issues with the "Iranian Oil Bourse"?

Dr. Hamilton has a nice post addressing that issue: Strange ideas about the Iranian oil bourse

I agree with Dr. Hamilton, but I'm afraid the actual economic impact (or lack of economic impact) doesn't really matter. What matters is what Bush / Cheney think. Although the Bourse is inconsequential, an attack on Iran could have significant economic implications.

In my economic predictions for 2006, I included this caveat:

So, without trying to predict natural disasters, a pandemic or human stupidity (terrorism, bombing Iran, etc.), ...
And for some reason I'm reminded of the fictional character Forrest Gump's quip: "Stupid is as stupid does." Lets hope the US is not stupid this time, otherwise $68/barrel WTI oil might look cheap, and my 2006 economic predictions wildly wrong.