In Depth Analysis: CalculatedRisk Newsletter on Real Estate (Ad Free) Read it here.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Weblog Usability

by Calculated Risk on 10/17/2005 03:59:00 PM

Jakob Nielson provides an interesting summary of Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes.

The readers make this blog for me. I've met many great people via the comments or email and any feedback and/or suggestions is appreciated.

Here are Nielson's Ten Mistakes:

1. No Author Biographies - Guilty. I do provide a short blurb on my background.

2. No Author photo - Guilty. No one wants to see my ugly mug!

3. Nondescript Posting Titles - OK, I try to make the subject clear although I sometimes group several disparate ideas into one post.

4. Links Don't Say Where They Go - Guilty. I'll try to be more clear.

5. Classic Hits are Buried - Guilty. Some of my older posts might be of interest to new readers.

6. The Calendar is the Only Navigation - mostly Guilty. Unless you know when I wrote a post or the subject (and use search), it is hard to find previous material.

7. Irregular Publishing Frequency - OK, I post fairly frequently.

8. Mixing Topics - OK, although I jump between economic topics, I think they are fairly related. For the most part, I've dropped my comments on politics (except as related to economics).

9. Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss - No problem for me.

10. Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service - Guilty.

Apparently my site isn't very usable. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!